Friday, January 05, 2007

NY Subway Hero

2007 has just started, but it has already produced what could probably be the most interesting and amazing story of the year.

A construction worker saved a 19-year-old student from certain death when the latter suffered a seizure and fell onto the subway tracks. Despite the fact that a train was already on its way to the spot where Cameron Hollopeter just fell, 50-year-old Wesley Autrey didn’t think twice in jumping to the tracts and shield Hollopeter from the speeding train.

The two miraculously survived even as two coaches passed over them. Hollopeter wasn’t even sure if he was still alive when the train stopped since he asked Autrey if he was already dead.

What a story. What a selfless act. The fact that it happened in a city where many people don’t seem to care about each other anymore (I’m sure you’ve guessed it right) makes it even quite unbelievable.

I’m sure Autrey will be featured in every New York broadsheet for the next several days. I can’t wait to read more about this man. I think I’ll even conduct a background check on him to know more about this new superman.

Thank God for people like him.

No comments: