Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Kareem's Apprentice

I hope you’re a Laker fan because this article is all about the purple and gold team.

I’ve been a rabid Laker fan since I first saw Magic Johnson threw that no-look pass to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar when they were playing against the Celtics during the 1986 NBA Finals. It was always showtime at the Forum during the years when the two basketball icons were still playing together.

It took several years after Kareem’s retirement before the Lakers had another dominant center. I’m sure he needs no introduction. Shaq muscled his way through opponents, netting 20+ points per game and giving the Lakers 3 NBA championships. His stint with the most famous Western Conference club didn’t last long as he opted to go to Miami.

Just when things were starting to crumble again in the middle for the Lakers, a teenager coming straight out of High School joined the club. He was virtually inexistent last season, but he’s already making a name for himself this year.

Andrew Bynum is a young 7-footer who has recently been a consistent contributor to the Lakers’ scoreboard. I don’t know much about him. As I’ve said, he was virtually unknown last year. All I know is that he’s been training under the guidance of Kareem. I haven’t conducted a background check on him yet. I hope I’ll be able to get more information on how he came about to be a basketball player. While he’s steadily earning more minutes from Coach Phil Jackson, Kobe and Lamar Odom are still the favorites of the press when it comes to post game interviews.

No comments: