I get tons of mail every week. Most of them are legit, coming from relatives, friends, and of course, my ever so thoughtful credit card company reminding me to pay up.
There are times though, that I receive mails coming from somebody that I do not know. These letters usually ask for contributions for a project that would benefit the community. I’m not that well off, but I’m willing to shell out a few bucks as long as the project is good.
Many are quite reluctant though and they have good reasons to hesitate. There are solicitation letters that are fraudulent. It’s easy to save yourself from being conned in this manner. All you have to do is ignore it. It is easy, but it’s also detrimental to the community and the needy. What if it is legit?
If you really want to help, you could ask somebody to conduct a background check on the person or association distributing the letters. It may require a little effort from you, but it could be very well worth it especially if the project will also benefit you.
Thursday, October 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment