Monday, April 02, 2007

Is It Necessary?

How important is a college education?

I remember a time during the 80s when many Americans have downplayed its value. They said that practical knowledge and skill, coupled with hard work, can lead any person to financial success.

I have no qualms about the formula for success that they have created at that time sans a college degree. Many have indeed made it big without having undergone a formal education. Even some of the world’s renowned scientists and artists are high school or college dropouts.

I remember having a serious conversation with my mom before my high school graduation about this topic. Although I was already bent on going to college, I discussed with them the possibility of joining a friend of mine in immediately working in an insurance company where his dad was a director. Of course, the suggestion was met with a frown. She gave me a litany of reasons on why I should disregard the idea of working immediately after high school.

One of the reasons that stuck in my mind was the alleged fact that all of our relatives (mom’s side) were college degree holders. I found that quite hard to believe. However, I had no means back then to check the veracity of her claims. Maybe I’ll try to run an ancestry background check on our family tree. Who knows, I might find something that I could use to tease mom :)

I have no regrets in forsaking the job offer at the insurance company and enrolling immediately in college instead. My four years in the university have greatly changed the way I see things. My impulsive attitude was tempered, and my thirst for learning quenched. I’m more confident now that I could make it in any endeavor because I have a liberal arts degree to back me up.

No comments: